Nov 14-17 trip. Artist Dr, Chloride City to Keane parking lot, Defense mine, and Golden canyon

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
DavidW
Jayhawker

Nov 14-17 trip. Artist Dr, Chloride City to Keane parking lot, Defense mine, and Golden canyon

Post by DavidW » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:12 am

Started the first day driving into Death Valley, and stopping at the 2nd dip of Artist drive. Climbed up the first pink dry fall by the road and hiked back. A few more scrambles up a couple more dry falls and made my way back to the larger fall. Didn't try to climb it or find a way around since it was getting late. It was a nice little hike though.

The first full day I started at Chloride City, where l left my truck (my dad and his friend we're meeting me at the Keane Wonder Mine parking lot to give me a ride back up). Made my way down to Big Bell Mine where I hung out for about 15 mins. I had been there a few times before, so I've already explored the area pretty good. From there I followed the trail towards Keane Wonder Mine. There was a small section that the trail was really hard to see, but checking the GPS, I knew I was on the right path. Made it to Keane and ate lunch. Then made my way down to the parking lot. Was a nice day and the weather was great.

The next day we took the road to the base of Lookout mountain. From there I wanted to drive the road further up towards Defense mine, but the rest of the group preferred to hike from where we were. So it would be about 3 miles in, 3 miles out. I'm the youngest of who was there (44), and the oldest is over 80. So myself and another guy (54) made it to Defense Mine. My dad and the 2 others didn't go the whole way. The last part of the hike gets pretty steep, where the road forks to go up to the mine. The other fork heading to Lookout City. We finally made it to the mine and ate lunch, then proceeded to check out the mine area. Really cool mine, with a couple of rooms inside. The structures outside were in pretty good condition too. Definitely plan on going back there again.

The last day, before heading home, we did Golden Canyon. We parked 2 cars at the Golden Canyon parking lot, then drove 1 up to Zabriskie Point where we started the hike down. This was my first time hiking Golden Canyon. It was a nice hike, although it was a bit warm out for November.....about 85-90°. Next time I think I want to explore some of the side canyons, might be pretty cool. Can't wait for the next trip out!

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Re: Nov 14-17 trip. Artist Dr, Chloride City to Keane parking lot, Defense mine, and Golden canyon

Post by TrailHound » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:51 am

The hike from Zabrieski back to the Golden Canyon parking lot is via Gower Gulch. It's worth a look to do the round trip.

DavidW
Jayhawker

Re: Nov 14-17 trip. Artist Dr, Chloride City to Keane parking lot, Defense mine, and Golden canyon

Post by DavidW » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:54 am

We did Zabriskie point, through Badlands, passed by Manly Beacon, then came down through Golden Canyon to the parking lot. Next time we will do the parking lot, Gower Gulch, Badlands loop.

John Morrow
Jayhawker

Post by John Morrow » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:24 pm

Cool to get to do the Chloride to Keene parking one way! I really liked that area and am very pleased it reopened.