Trip to Tuscon

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
beginner95
Jayhawker

Trip to Tuscon

Post by beginner95 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:04 pm

Hi, I have a break at grad school currently and was planning on going on some road trip. I think I've visited all the places within 450 miles radius from LA, I've also been to LV. So I was thinking about going to Tuscon for a few days, unless you have some other places to recommend, that are relatively both peaceful and interesting to check out, and more towards the south (where the temperature is not that low)?

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Re: Trip to Tuscon

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:08 am

Not really not next door to Tucson but the town of Bisbee is really interesting with a museum that is outstanding. There is also a caverns system down that way with tours.

beginner95
Jayhawker

Post by beginner95 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:12 pm

I guess I'll stay in Tuscon and check out Bisbee, Sierra Vista etc. as well, since they are only 1.5 hour away. The AirBnbs in Tuscon are a little bit cheaper as well.

Is this museum called Bisbee Mining & Historical Museum? Could you also elaborate on where this caverns system is located?

Older Fossil
Grubstaker

Post by Older Fossil » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:03 pm

beginner95 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:12 pm
Could you also elaborate on where this caverns system is located?
Probably Kartchner Caverns about 50 miles south east of Tucson.
https://azstateparks.com/kartchner/
Well worth a visit.
Art Berggreen
Living and traveling full-time in a 39 ft. diesel pusher.
http://arts-work.blogspot.com

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:17 am

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:29 am

I am recently home after having spent 2 1/2 weeks in greater Tucson (Tucson and Madera Canyon in the Santa Ritas, south of town). I go there to hike, and did so every day although there were a couple days with only partial hiking due to rain. There are a great number of places to hike, in conditions ranging from the low desert saguaro cactus forests to higher grasslands and even up to forests on the higher peaks. I saw both coatis and ringtails, although I was unusually lucky in these. There are so many possibilities - for scale, I have been visiting Tucson for a week or more most of the last 35 years, yet in my 2 1/2 weeks of hiking only two days were spent going to places I've been to before. Tucson is a relatively small city (certainly compared to LA! but it has been growing rapidly) with a lot of decent Mexican food (I would not recommend eating much else there, have not had good luck with that)) and within half an hour's drive of most places you'd stay you can be at a trailhead.

Whether you stay in town and do that or day trip from town of course depends on your own desires, and why you choose to travel.

beginner95
Jayhawker

Post by beginner95 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:44 pm

Thank you for your answers. I've been to Tombstone, Bisbee (visited the mines), Sierra Vista and Nogales (AZ). The mexican food in Tuscon is indeed great. The only thing that discourages me from going on hikes by myself is mountain lions. I'm not sure if this is a justified concern, though.

I guess if I were to take a next trip in the Winter, when the temperatures up north are still low, I'd have to go to El Paso ^^