Winter weather

Death Valley related discussion
MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Winter weather

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:34 pm

Sounds cold and snowy out there. Not clear what's up with SPW gas? From the Death Valley Road Conditions FB page:

Storm today (12/26). Road conditions changing constantly.

Currently slushy snow on Daylight Pass (road to Beatty), and tire chains are required to cross Towne Pass on CA-190 due to snow. Both are likely to be clear by 12/27 due to predicted sun.

Emigrant Canyon Road, Lower Wildrose Road, and Upper Wildrose Road are closed due to snow. Those aren't plowed, and are likely to stay closed longer than Towne Pass.

Gas station at Stovepipe Wells is currently open, but may close over next few days due to power and communication issues there.

Titus Canyon Road is closed, likely won't reopen for a few days (at least) until it dries out.

No condition reports on unpaved roads, but we don't recommend higher elevation backcountry roads, like South Pass, North Pass, or Hunter Mountain.

Randy O
Breyfogler

Re: Winter weather

Post by Randy O » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:12 am

Yes, cold and wet this year. My wife and I are holed up in Pahrump waiting for some nicer weather to head back over to the park. It's been quite wet since late November and I can't wait to see how the wildflower bloom is affected this year. Candace pointed me to some info saying the moisture has to come earlier than that for a good bloom but I can't help thinking that all this wet weather has to have some effect on that.

bbb
Breyfogler

Post by bbb » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:47 am

Any reports on how low the snow elevation has gotten? It's nice to have for a backup water supply.

Randy O
Breyfogler

Post by Randy O » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:09 pm

Snow levels look to be 4-5000 feet but will rise with warming weather.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:16 pm

If you stop in SPW, please report as to what's going on with their gas station, per that NPS info. In any event, have a great time out there and we'd all love to know what you end up doing!

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:32 am

Hey all---

Just returned from the Valley.

On Christmas Day, some power and telecomm issues caused the internet for SPW resort/gas station to accept cash only. By the time we left on Dec. 28, they had solved the issue and were accepting electronic payments as well.

When we came into the valley on Dec 26, Towne Pass was closed to travel except with snow chains. CHP had established checkpoints at SPW and at Emigrant to make sure you had chains in your car and installed at the pass, however we were on snow tires (drove down from Oregon over ice and snow) and carried chains so they waved us through. We got off 190 at Lemoigne Road so we never got to the snow line. Snow had fallen on Daylight Pass and the road was slushy. It was awesome seeing so much white stuff heading into the valley, with the snow line about 4000'. Dante's and Wildrose/Emigrant are likely closed for the season!
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

bbb
Breyfogler

Post by bbb » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:05 pm

Thanks for the update

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:34 pm

Yes, thanks a lot!

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:28 am

I hope there is another Geology video to follow!

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:21 am

Sparky of SoCal wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:28 am
I hope there is another Geology video to follow!
I too love GowerGulch42, threads on this forum. In between his posts, I also enjoy Andrew's YouTube Channel - BetterGeology.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq--FL ... VHAsabZm4A
Life begins in Death Valley