April 1 to 6

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
TrailHound
Grubstaker

April 1 to 6

Post by TrailHound » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:32 pm

We will be in DV April 1 to 6. Hope the temps stay below 90. Planning on canyon hikes: Mummy, Red Wall, Palmer (from Scottys Castle Road), and Moonlight. I'll be 71 by then. Ridgeline scrambles, steep bypasses, or The Cauldron are a bit too gnarly for my currrent abilities. :sad: :twisted:

DV always has a few wildflowers no matter how dry. It sounds like this season got enough rain for an above average bloom, but probably not a super bloom. We have been fortunate enough to see two of those.

We will stay in Beatty. Five nights at the Atomic Inn is less than two nights at Stovepipe ot the Furnace Creek Ranch.

Kauri
Grubstaker

Re: April 1 to 6

Post by Kauri » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:16 pm

Sounds like a great collection of hikes!

If terrain is the main thing you have difficulty with and distance isn't as much of an issue, you might be able to reach Moonlight Bridge in Moonlight Canyon. If not, the narrows in many of the side canyons are worth visiting.

For Red Wall, you'll probably only get to the major dry-fall; I would think the workaround is on too unstable of terrain.

For Palmer, good choice to access it from the Scotty's Castle Road. I think it might even be shorter than from the Titus parking lot, and the terrain in my opinion is easier.
Death Valley named locations map, and my trip reports: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Post by TrailHound » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:27 pm

Thanks, Kauri. Yes, I want to see the Moonlight Natural Bridge.

By the way, the last canyon before turning to the Moonlight Bridge appears to have maybe its own bridge. I noticed this on GE. Has anyone been here to see if this is a bridge or just a pile of rocks.

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:55 pm

I think that's the dry-fall on page 3 of
http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... idgeTR.pdf
but, yes, it does look like a bridge from GE. I do recall hiking all the way up that side canyon to the ridge and there weren't any bridges in it.
Death Valley named locations map, and my trip reports: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:53 pm

I'll be out in March and Moonlight is on my short list. I have wandered around the mouth looking at other things, but not gone up the canyon. I'll be torn between trying to hoof it up to the main narrows, or going into the side canyon to see the bridge. I don't think I can do both in a day hike, can I? I believe it is 7 miles to the upper end of the main narrows, but I've not really confirmed that.

The Cauldron (I call it the "Hell Hole") isn't bad, really. There's a clear use trail that passes on the flat ground along the west side of the eroded out area, and then crosses at a narrow point. Really no worse than any wash crossing and IIRC (I was there probably a decade ago) the entrance and exit were cairned. Actually we missed this on the way in, dropping in a bit early, but it was very evident on the way out, and looking back as we left the area the use trail was pretty clear. I can see bits of the trail on the satellite images. It is about .3 miles shorter with less elevation gain from the Titus parking area vs. the Scotty's road, but in terms of time probably a wash once you add in the drive up Titus to the parking area. Anyway the idea is that you just cut across the wash immediately below the jumble.

Palmer is nice.

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Post by TrailHound » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:03 am

Well, crap! Since we live in Florida and would have to fly to DV, this trip is cancelled. At least, Delta is handing out refunds as flight credits, no questions asked. With the weather warming, this trip is postponed to October or November. F***ing virus. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: