FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register 
 Profile  |  Messages  |  Log in 
Finally found the Skidoo Cemetery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death-Valley.net Forum Index -> Ghost Towns & Mining Camps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lewis
Grubstaker

Location: Newport Beach, CA. "Where the Sewer Meets The Sea".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:44 pm 
Post subject: Finally found the Skidoo Cemetery

Although not much is left of Skidoo, I have always wanted to find the Skidoo Cemetery.

Nothing is left of the townsite, the buildings are long gone, some are rumored to have been burned down by the NPS.

The first time I visited Skidoo back in the 70's the mill building was still standing. In the 80's I read that the building was donated to the NPS, and a high winds blew down the building in the 80's.

The NPS has done stablization work on the mill structure, and its worth exploring.

The townsite is still interesting to walk around, you can still find building sites, bed frames, trash dumps, and misc. stuff laying around. Looked around for the cemetery but did not find it, and totally forgot all about it.

After many years, made it back to Skidoo with Cat and DezDan, as we were leaving the site, I spotted something and slamed on the brakes.

Looks like I finally found the Skidoo Cemetery;

http://ghosttownexplorers.org/california/skidoo/skidoo12.htm

There's not much to see, some graves have been dug up, the headstones smashed, pieces of wood from the fences, and only a couple of wood posts still stick out of the ground.

After I got home. I remembered that one of my books had a pic of the cemetery, so I checked it out.

If you have the book; "Nevada Ghost Town and Mining Camp Ghost Town Atlas by Stan Paher" or one its "New Improved" reprints, there is a old picture of the cemetery in it. Only a couple of the wood posts from the grave fence in the forground are still standing.

~Lewis

http://www.ghosttownexplorers.org
D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:27 pm 
Post subject:

Dave Brenner and myself looked for and found it, using photos from the 1930s from George Pipkin as our guide. Lit Brush, George's daughter, and curator of the museum at Trona, lent us the photos.
ahamacav
Death Valley Resident

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:54 pm 
Post subject: Skidoo!

David,

Picked up a copy of Skidoo! last week. Pretty cool.
Death Valley Resident

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:50 pm 
Post subject:

Alan Patera and I thank you!
Guy
Grubstaker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:38 pm 
Post subject:

David - I didn't realize you had found it. I thought you were still looking for it. Good to hear!

Lewis - Glad you found it as well. Wish more was left out there....

--Guy
D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:31 pm 
Post subject:

I think it was '99 or '00 or so, back when Dave Brenner was still a DVNP ranger. His photo is on my Joe Simpson page on my website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death-Valley.net Forum Index -> Ghost Towns & Mining Camps All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: