April 23-27: Roadrunner Route

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

April 23-27: Roadrunner Route

Post by wbdeford » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:21 pm

One of my bucket list hikes is the day hike version of Badwater to Telescope. Another is what I call The Roadrunner Route. Fortunately, Badwater to Telescope is part of the Roadrunner route:

1) Set up a "just in case" water cache near Trail Canyon Rd/West Side Rd, and then a campsite at Mahogany Flat.
2) Drive to Badwater Parking lot to arrive just before midnight.
3) Begin hiking at 12:01AM and don't stop, except for short breaks, until I reach Telescope Peak, then head down to Mahogany Flat campsite.
4) Gather everything together and hike to Wildrose Peak, then descend Trail Canyon to West Side Road.
5) Follow the water channels out to the central point of the valley.
6) 3.4 mile victory lap to Badwater parking lot.

I call this the Roadrunner Route because the route looks very much like a roadrunner head: https://caltopo.com/m/00B2

netllama
Death Valley Resident

Re: April 23-27: Roadrunner Route

Post by netllama » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:20 pm

That is kinda insane. Good luck pulling it off.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:19 pm

That is ambitious, to say the least! :shock: I'm just hoping I can get it together (and have suitable weather at the right time) to finally climb Sentinel Peak this season!

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:39 am

netllama wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:20 pm
That is kinda insane. Good luck pulling it off.
Thanks :) If I can do the really long 1st day, I should be in great shape. If I can't, I should know it in time to turn back. Whitney took about 14 hours to go its 21.4 miles (and its down is no picnic and takes almost as long). It is roughly the same distance to Telescope, which I think I can do in 18 hours or less. Will likely be hating the 6+ miles back to Mahogany Flat after that, though. Unlike Whitney, I won't have to deal with 12, 13, and 14000 ft. The thin air above 13,000 ft was grueling. After Mahogany Flat, there is plenty of time to do the rest. I could probably do it in 2 days, but will have 3.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:42 am

Candace_66 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:19 pm
That is ambitious, to say the least! :shock: I'm just hoping I can get it together (and have suitable weather at the right time) to finally climb Sentinel Peak this season!
Yeah...will see how it goes!

Are you planning on going via Panamint City?

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:07 am

No, I'm pretty much resigned to approaching from the south, via Porter Peak (which I have already climbed)!

Probably from the end of the road in Mormon Gulch on the south side of Porter. The end of the Porter Mine Road is an alternative starting point, but I don't even know if that road is open to the end. Either in practical or legal terms. :smile:

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:31 am

Candace_66 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:07 am
No, I'm pretty much resigned to approaching from the south, via Porter Peak (which I have already climbed)!

Probably from the end of the road in Mormon Gulch on the south side of Porter. The end of the Porter Mine Road is an alternative starting point, but I don't even know if that road is open to the end. Either in practical or legal terms. :smile:
Looks like a couple interesting possibilities for routes from the Porter Mine Road. The last few hundred feet up to Sentinel from the crest are pretty grueling--at least they were for me backpacking, though it was the pinnacle of 4 long days, so maybe that was fatigue talking