Chloride road conditions

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Chloride road conditions

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:34 pm

I have a 2 WD rental Highlander SUV. 8 inch clearance but of course only 2 WD. Anyone have an opinion as to whether I can safely navigate there? I don't mind rough roads but I don't want to be stupid. Thanks!

Kauri
Grubstaker

Re: Chloride road conditions

Post by Kauri » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:58 pm

I'd be most concerned about the tires---I recall that the rocks on that road are sharp, and I personally would not trust that the tires on a rental vehicle would be sufficiently good for that road. Also, I think there are some steep, loose stretches, where you'd need 4WD, but I could be remembering wrong.
Death Valley named locations map, and my trip reports: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com

Sunman
Jayhawker

Post by Sunman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:08 pm

It’s been a few years, but if it’s in similar condition, and I can’t imagine it wouldn’t be, I would not do it in a rental. Steep and rocky in sections.

Daw89446
Jayhawker

Post by Daw89446 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:35 pm

I side with the other posters, I’d refrain from trying. Steep, rocky parts, especially in the last mile. Traction with street tires and your rig going slow might become compromised, a tire might spin and rip a tire. If it were your car, it being front wheel drive and you had all terrain tires, I’d say you’d have a fair chance of making it with care in a few sections.

Randy O
Breyfogler

Post by Randy O » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:37 pm

Going in from the Daylight Pass road is not what you would want to try, it's got a few very rough sections well before the Chloride City area. If you go in from the Beatty side it's much better until you get to where the road climbs up the last few hills and that part has some rough spots too but we saw some folks who walked from there as it's not too far of a hike. We went up it in our Jeep and were glad we had the clearance in those rocky spots. At any rate you could certainly get within walking distance if you come in from the Beatty side.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:58 pm

Thanks for the quick replies, awesome gang! I was thinking of maybe being able to drive within a few miles, walk the rest, and then do a loop down to the Big Bell mine and out on a connecting road. The loop part is a bit over 4 miles. But it sounds like unless I come in from the Beatty side this is probably a bad idea. Again, thanks for the replies!

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:10 pm

Yeah, I think the the Monarch-Chloride Road would definitely be too much for a Highlander. I recall it was very off-camber (I think that's the right terminology---two track with one side quite a bit higher than the other) for much of the way from Monarch Canyon to Chloride, so ground clearance would be a big issue for the Highlander. My comments were about the route in from Beatty. In regards to that route, as Randy O suggested, parking before the rough stretches and walking the rest of the way is probably the only way that could work with your rental vehicle. (Sorry, I can't remember how far the rough spots are from the end of the road.)
Death Valley named locations map, and my trip reports: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:01 am

MojaveGeek wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:58 pm
I was thinking of maybe being able to drive within a few miles, walk the rest, and then do a loop down to the Big Bell mine and out on a connecting road.
I vote for this idea. If you could start at Chloride, enjoy the down hike around the mountain to Big Bell and from there either to Keane Wonder or the alternative route through the Big Bell Extension terminating at the Keane Wonder Springs. That is if someone can pick you up at the Keane Wonder Parking. Disclaimer: I have yet to hike the Big Bell Extension to the Keane Springs.
Life begins in Death Valley

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:34 pm

We managed to drive in about 4 miles and then walked to Chloride Cliff, got the great view, walked down the old cable haul road to Big Bell, and looped up the very nice constructed mine trail. Views for the whole loop, it is very scenic, and Big Bell has a lot going for it. The cable haul route is very steep! I got the idea for this loop from the newer Digonett volume.

Many years ago, friends got married at Chloride and I walked down to Keane where I got picked up. That was a super day. I took the haul route because I could see it, but the miners' trail is very sweet and I recommend it highly. You get to it from the main old Chloride town site.

Definitely need 4WD and higher clearance than the 8 inches we had to get all the way in to Chloride.

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:40 pm

Man ... first trip I ever made to Chloride Cliff 15+ years ago was total Amateur Hour. We ended up 4x4ing into Chloride in the dark on a bitterly cold night in March. Woke up in the morning and saw what we drove in on – completely oblivious. Ha!

tpdwr
Jayhawker

Post by tpdwr » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:18 pm

I drove in from Hwy 95, south of Beatty, to the saddle at the turnoff to Chloride Cliff where I parked. I hiked in from there. My Jeep Liberty has only moderate clearance. The road in was in good shape and I did not have to use 4wd. This was 2/6/2020.