Death Valley National Park is CLOSED – April 4, 2020

Death Valley related discussion
TacoLand
Grubstaker

Death Valley National Park is CLOSED – April 4, 2020

Post by TacoLand » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:46 pm

Park is 100% closed as of today. From their Facebook page:
Following guidance from the CDC, and in concurrence with stay at home orders from the Governors of California and Nevada, Death Valley National Park is CLOSED. This includes ANY recreational use of the park, including day hikes and backcountry camping.

California 190 and Daylight Pass remain open to through-traffic, and park law enforcement remain on duty. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

For more information, please visit our website at: https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

hisdudeness48
Jayhawker

Re: Death Valley National Park is CLOSED – April 4, 2020

Post by hisdudeness48 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:46 am

Great. I was finally planning on getting down into Saline Valley this next weekend. My plan was dispersed camping and off trail hiking... I'm safer in Death Valley than I am at home. Grrrrrrrrrr.

rca076
Jayhawker

Post by rca076 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:19 pm

Same here. My buddy and I were planning to go to the Racetrack this week. I guess, we'll have to wait until May???

hisdudeness48
Jayhawker

Post by hisdudeness48 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:52 pm

rca076 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:19 pm
Same here. My buddy and I were planning to go to the Racetrack this week. I guess, we'll have to wait until May???
I just hope it's not scorching hot when we're finally allowed back. Otherwise I'm waiting till October for low desert fun.

jacknv7
Grubstaker

Post by jacknv7 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:42 pm

This from BLM California...

"Visitors may continue to enjoy BLM-managed public lands in a safe and responsible manner. We recommend visiting areas close to home while avoiding very popular or crowded locations where social distancing may be difficult and limiting group activities to members of your household. Please note that existing rules and regulations apply. Entrance fees have been waived. Other fees, such as cabin rentals, group day use, and use of special areas will remain in effect."

https://www.blm.gov/site-page/blm-calif ... 19-updates

bluegreen kayak
Jayhawker

Post by bluegreen kayak » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:47 pm

If the valley floor is scorching hot when you visit, I would heartily recommend the trails up in the Panamints. I've done Wildrose, so almost anyone can do that, and there's always Telescope Peak. Good luck!

rca076
Jayhawker

Post by rca076 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:57 pm

Good to know that. Thanks!

hisdudeness48
Jayhawker

Post by hisdudeness48 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:59 am

bluegreen kayak wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:47 pm
If the valley floor is scorching hot when you visit, I would heartily recommend the trails up in the Panamints. I've done Wildrose, so almost anyone can do that, and there's always Telescope Peak. Good luck!
Did Wildrose last winter. Looking to climb Telescope and do a Panamint City backpack if I head to DV in summer. Any other higher elevation recommendations?
Last edited by hisdudeness48 on Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:43 am

Depending on what kind of car you're driving, Hunter Mountain and the high country around it are wonderful places to be. There's a surprising amount of stuff to see up there, but you have to do your research.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

hisdudeness48
Jayhawker

Post by hisdudeness48 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:57 am

Gowergulch42 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:43 am
Depending on what kind of car you're driving, Hunter Mountain and the high country around it are wonderful places to be. There's a surprising amount of stuff to see up there, but you have to do your research.
I have a 09 Outback with AT tires. I think Hunter Mountain is passable in summer. I wouldn't try Lippencott though.

netllama
Death Valley Resident

Post by netllama » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:24 pm

hisdudeness48 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:57 am
Gowergulch42 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:43 am
I have a 09 Outback with AT tires. I think Hunter Mountain is passable in summer. I wouldn't try Lippencott though.
Hunter Mountain is very doable in an Outback (i've been up there in my 2011 Outback a few times). By summer, the road should be fine (barring some freak storm).

I was a passenger in someone else's Outback going down Lippencott a bunch of years ago. We made it ok, but it was super rough.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:50 pm

For quite awhile, I had Easter Sunday penciled in for a DVNP adventure high in the Panamints. IF it was a fairly dry winter/spring and there was little or no snow up there.

The Park closure ended any chance of doing it. :sad: But it would have been a non-starter anyway, because it is anything but dry up there in the Panamints! Pics taken today, April 11.

ImageP4110002 by Candace66, on Flickr

ImageP4110073 by Candace66, on Flickr

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:28 am

Candace_66 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:50 pm
For quite awhile, I had Easter Sunday penciled in for a DVNP adventure high in the Panamints. IF it was a fairly dry winter/spring and there was little or no snow up there.

The Park closure ended any chance of doing it. :sad: But it would have been a non-starter anyway, because it is anything but dry up there in the Panamints! Pics taken today, April 11.
Wow, that looks like a lot of snow, especially for April!
Death Valley named locations map, and my trip reports: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com

sonyhome
Jayhawker

Post by sonyhome » Mon May 18, 2020 1:32 pm

Hello all.

* Is road from big pine to Saline Valley legally open and currently passable (aka usual washboard) or did any part get washed out?
* Anyone know of the status about camping and hiking Saline Valley? Looks like the springs are officially closed since NPS land but what about at the canyons of the inyo mountains?

Other area ideas?
* Mt Nunn is outside the NPS area, has anyone explored there? Or Sylvania? Are there any fun features to check out without trespassing in DV NP? Google maps shows deep spring but no fun slot canyon to hike.
* Darwin: IDK how many people live around there and I don't want to bother them too much and would want to social distance from recluse folks spared from city dweller problems. It's an area I have not gone to but would like to. Just like Slab city is no my radar.
* Ballarat & Surprise canyon: I have not gone to Panamint yet. Is that accessible and ok to car camp the end of the road?

It's been a too long since I've been to DV but I've moved to Reno so now I'm a straight shot i395 to Big Pine. I've been doing a lot more exploring of Mojave NP since DesertChimp moved away, as it was new and more accessible, but now a new friend with a worthy SUV is interested in DV and DV has more colorful people encounters :P.
I hiked yesterday at 9000ft on I108 and the snow level is now that high, and dry below in the Sierras so that's good for the passes to the valleys. I108 and I4 are open, so is Bodie it seems.

Thanks!

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Tue May 19, 2020 8:36 am

In terms of legal issues, check out the online maps of the national park boundaries. Legally I believe to be allowed only on CA 190, although perhaps a few other roads also carry County designations and might or might not be open. I assume the park closure means you're just not allowed in, period.

Maybe it will open soon, other parks are, but it probably depends a lot on how Inyo County weighs in.